Re: Changing line for user pgsql connecting via UNIX socket to "ident sameuser" causes pg_ctl start -s -w to fail. - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Changing line for user pgsql connecting via UNIX socket to "ident sameuser" causes pg_ctl start -s -w to fail.
Date
In response to Changing line for user pgsql connecting via UNIX socket to "ident sameuser" causes pg_ctl start -s -w to fail.  (Constantin Stefanov <cstef@mail.ru>)
List pgsql-bugs
Constantin Stefanov <cstef@mail.ru> writes:
> Then I change the line to
> local   all         pgsql                  ident sameuser
> and try to start server with
>> su -l pgsql -c "pgsql start -D /home/pgsql/data -s -w"
> It does not start.

It starts fine, as the log shows.  Try not using "-w" ... I suspect
there is something odd about the "su" environment that prevents pg_ctl
from connecting with IDENT authorization, so it fails to realize that
the postmaster has started.

            regards, tom lane