Re: pgsql: Add PL/pgSQL SQLSTATE and SQLERRM support - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: Add PL/pgSQL SQLSTATE and SQLERRM support
Date
List pgsql-committers
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> I should have commented on this earlier: I don't think exact Oracle
> compatibility is _at all_ important.

The results of Pavel's experiments prove that Oracle's behavior is
pretty random --- it looks to me like the chance results of whatever
quick-and-dirty implementation someone chose long ago, rather than
behavior that was thought out and agreed to.  I concur that we shouldn't
feel a compulsion to match it exactly, especially seeing that we
aren't going to match it exactly in terms of the contents of the
variables, let alone fine details of what they may contain at different
times.

> As for "what makes the most sense", I like Tom's proposal here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2005-05/msg00311.php

> Does this sound reasonable to people?

Sounds good to me of course ;-)

            regards, tom lane