Re: Bad Data back Door - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Bad Data back Door
Date
Re: Bad Data back Door  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
"David E. Wheeler" <david@justatheory.com> writes:
> On Oct 5, 2012, at 6:12 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Now, having said that, I think it has to be the reponsibility of the FDW
>> to apply any required check ... which makes this a bug report against
>> oracle_fdw, not the core system.  (FWIW, contrib/file_fdw depends on the
>> COPY code, which will check encoding.)

> FWIW, I believe that dblink does not check encoding.

In dblink's case, that boils down to trusting a remote instance of
Postgres to get this right, which doesn't seem totally unreasonable.
But I wouldn't object to adding checks there if someone wanted to submit
a patch.