Re: What do do about Object-Relational label, was Help me improve the 9.2 release announcement! - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: What do do about Object-Relational label, was Help me improve the 9.2 release announcement!
Date
Re: What do do about Object-Relational label, was Help me improve the 9.2 release announcement!  (Darren Duncan <darren@darrenduncan.net>)
Re: What do do about Object-Relational label, was Help me improve the 9.2 release announcement!  (Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 20:15 -0700, Chris Travers wrote:

> I wonder if it is time to re-examine the term object-relational and
> how we explain it.

+1.

My first suggestion to consider removing the word "object" fell flat,
but I think improving the documentation around that term would help
avoid confusion (including my confusion).

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1335420139.28653.59.camel@jdavis

Based on that thread, it seems to have something to do with
extensibility, user-defined data types, polymorphism, and overloading.

But those things seem to matter only to extension authors, so I can't
think of a way to usefully describe object-relational to new users
(aside: those we call "users" are actually developers, so they will
expect that any object-relational features are intended for them).

The only object-relational things that a new user will see are the
things I mentioned in the email linked above: OIDs, inheritance, and dot
function call syntax. And I can't think of a way to describe those
things in a way that would connect with new users, either.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis