Re: no mention of GRANT USAGE in postgres_fdw docs - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: no mention of GRANT USAGE in postgres_fdw docs
Date
List pgsql-docs
> On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 12:05 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I'm not clear why we should duplicate that information here, especially
>> when we're not duplicating any of the other essential information about
>> how to use IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA.  Nor does this summary mention the
>> privilege requirements for any of the other commands it suggests using.

> The overview page says: "Create a user mapping, using CREATE USER MAPPING,
> for each database user you want to allow to access each foreign server."
> It seems reasonable to add that you need to grant those same users the
> USAGE privilege on each foreign server as well.

But you don't necessarily, do you?  I think you only need that to
create a foreign table referencing the server, not to use one that
somebody else created.  (Too lazy to check the details right now.)

Anyway, my point is that details like this belong in the respective
command man pages.  If we were to copy them into postgres-fdw's
summary, we'd never remember to update that if they changed.

            regards, tom lane