Re: Out of Memory errors are frustrating as heck! - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Out of Memory errors are frustrating as heck!
Date
Re: Out of Memory errors are frustrating as heck!  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-performance
Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> Considering how rare this issue likely is, we need to be looking for a
> solution that does not break the common case.

Agreed.  What I think we need to focus on next is why the code keeps
increasing the number of batches.  It seems like there must be an undue
amount of data all falling into the same bucket ... but if it were simply
a matter of a lot of duplicate hash keys, the growEnabled shutoff
heuristic ought to trigger.

            regards, tom lane