Re: how to avoid repeating expensive computation in select - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bob Price
Subject Re: how to avoid repeating expensive computation in select
Date
List pgsql-general
One last question.  Are there any pitfalls if I roll my own ability to check for duplicate calls?

Since I am using my own defined data type, and my own function, I could
do this by:

1. in my data type X, adding fields for: a table oid, a row oid, a copy
of a reference to the last 2nd argument, and a copy of the last result
(in my case a double)

2. in my function (which takes two X args), if the new
table/row/ref-2nd-arg match the last data (saved in the first arg), then
return the last result, otherwise compute the new result and save this
info to use on the next call

This should enable only a single computation of the data for any given
row as long as the same args are used as parameters.

But, is this safe, or have any pitfalls I would need to look out for?

Thanks!
Bob