Re: Problems with Timezones in Australia - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Problems with Timezones in Australia
Date
List pgsql-general
"Roderick A. Anderson" <raanders@acm.org> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> No, you're behind the times: 8.2.4 and 8.1.9 are too old to know about
>> this year's changes in southeast Australia DST laws.  Which I imagine
>> is what's biting you.

> Doesn't Pg use tzdata (at least that's what it's called on for
> Redhat-ian distributions) for it's timezone information?

Yes.  tzdata didn't know about those changes back then, either ;-)

If you meant to say "why aren't we using the system's copy of tzdata",
it's because we need to run on systems that don't have one.  If you are
on a platform that uses the standard "Olsen" tz database and you have
confidence that it will get updated regularly, you can configure PG to
use that copy instead of its built-in copy ... but this isn't the
default.

            regards, tom lane