Re: Bug tracker tool we need - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Wolfgang Wilhelm
Subject Re: Bug tracker tool we need
Date
List pgsql-hackers
First of all I think a bug tracker will never be a system that is somehow "loved". Bugs are things which developers hate. Bugs in a cute nice small bug house aren't nice, are they?

Question: Is there a reasonable chance from may be Tom Lane's idea of a wiki to an improved (define improvements) version which PG developers think may be useful?

Wolfgang

Von: Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>
An: Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>
CC: Jay Levitt <jay.levitt@gmail.com>; Alex <ash@commandprompt.com>; Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndquadrant.fr>; Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>; Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>; Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>; Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>; Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org>
Gesendet: 3:07 Mittwoch, 18.April 2012
Betreff: Re: [HACKERS] Bug tracker tool we need

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 1:47 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> That's probably one reason people aren't jumping on this. Because
> there is no tracker out there that people actually *like*...

I think this is a point worth serious thought.  The bug trackers I've
used have been mostly terrible; saying that they are to bug tracking
what CVS is to version control is insulting CVS.  They're more like
what editing RCS files in vi is to version control - i.e. worse than
not having version control.

To put that in practical terms, I think everyone (including people
like Tom and I) who (a) are old curmudgeons or anyway middle-aged
curmudgeons and (b) would spend much more time in bed with any system
that we adopted than the average hacker would agree that the current
system is kind of a pain.  But there is no point in replacing it with
something else unless that new thing is going to be significantly
better than what we are doing now.  And it's not entirely clear that
such a thing exists.  There are certainly people out there, and even
on this list, who will tell you that system ABC is great.  But for any
given ABC there are also people who will tell you that it's got
significant problems.  We don't need to change anything to get a
system that's got significant problems; we already have one.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company