Re: Last gasp - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Last gasp
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2012-04-05 at 15:07 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Hannu Krosing <hannu@krosing.net> wrote:
>
> > Would it be possible to put some "command trigger hooks" in a few
> > strategic places so that some trigger-like functionality could be loaded
> > at run time, mainly with a view of writing DDL replication
> > 'non-triggers' , mostly based on current v18 code, but of course without
> > all the nice CREATE TRIGGER syntax ?
>
> I certainly think that would be a possible way forward, but I don't
> think we should try to engineer that in the next 24 hours.

Why not ?

If they are in wrong places, they just wont work, when they are in right
places, we ca get (kind of) command triggers.

We have had hooks for DTrace for some time and nobody has complained .

If somebody misuses the command trigger hooks, it is his fault not core
developers

>  Had the
> original goals of the patch been somewhat more modest, I think we
> could have gotten it into 9.2, but there's no time to rethink the
> scope of the patch now.  With all respect for Dimitri and his *very*
> hard work on this subject, submitting a brand new major feature to the
> last CommitFest is not really a great way to get it committed,
> especially given that we didn't have consensus on the design before he
> started coding.

I guess it grew into a mayor feature because the few earlier attempts at
DDL triggers (or begin/commit/abort triggers etc.) were shot down
because they did not address the "other" issues of the bigger scope ;)

> There is every reason to think that we can get this
> feature into 9.3 with some more work, but it's not ready yet, and
> wishing won't make it so.

Sad but true.