Re: POSTGRESQL Newbie - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Geek Matter
Subject Re: POSTGRESQL Newbie
Date
Re: POSTGRESQL Newbie
List pgsql-general
i just wondering, why mysql is more popular than postgresql ?

From: Vincent Veyron <vv.lists@wanadoo.fr>
To: Geek Matter <geekmatter@yahoo.com>
Cc: "pgsql-general@postgresql.org" <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 3:48 PM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] POSTGRESQL Newbie

Le mercredi 21 mars 2012 à 00:04 -0700, Geek Matter a écrit :

> how about postgresql? does it has free graphical tools for modeling,
> replication ?

In your original post, you wrote : "for our large web apps"; if that
really is the case, I suggest you invest some time into learning the
command line interface, which gives you very fine control over the
modeling.

on graphical tools : they're around, but I never bothered to learn them,
and I come from an Access background. Google for pgAdmin

on replication : several tools in production use, lots of references
search the list archives; same thing, I doubt you can setup an efficient
replication of a large web app from a graphical tool, you'll have to
learn the commands/configuration settings, etc...

on the business case : I talked less than a week ago to the technical
director at this company

http://www.lusis.fr/SITE/

who tells me they use PostgreSQL.

So if it works for the (very) large monetary transfers between banks, it
should work for you.

--
Vincent Veyron
http://marica.fr/