Re: pg_upgrade and pg_config dependency - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: pg_upgrade and pg_config dependency
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of vie mar 16 20:06:28 -0300 2012:
> Àlvaro told me he got a Spanish-language report that pg_upgrade
> failed because it required pg_config, and pg_config is only supplied
> with the devel packages.
>
> I initially thought that it was a packaging problem, but I later
> realized the pg_config is mostly developer settings, and that using
> pg_config was not getting any change to libdir by dynamic_library_path
> in postgresql.conf, and that I should just merge the pg_upgrade_support
> detection code into the existing shared library detection "LOAD" code I
> already had.
>
> This avoids the pg_config dependency, works better for libdir, and
> reduces the amount of code.

Bruce also found a reference to this old bug report:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2011-12/msg00254.php
This includes a link to a Debian bug report by Peter.

> Patch attached.  Should this be backpatched to PG 9.1;  I think so.

+1