Re: what Linux to run - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vincent Veyron
Subject Re: what Linux to run
Date
List pgsql-general
Le mercredi 29 février 2012 à 11:31 -0500, Gary Chambers a écrit :
> > Note that Ubuntu also comes in a GUI free server edition as well.  I can
> > definitely state that Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Server edition is rock solid stable
>
> +1
>
> I've been running 10.04 LTS Server for over three years (on a Dell PowerEdge
> 2850) using Martin Pitt's PostgreSQL 9.1 PPA.

Hi,

I find that using the Dedian distribution (which Ubuntu is based on)
makes the process of building a server very simple and reliable. Below
are the notes I took for the last one; you'll have most steps outlined;
it uses a LAMP stack made of Linux+Apache+Mod_Perl+Postgresql.

The one I built before this one was up for 550 days, serving 5 users
full time. The machine is the cheapest server at online.net (dedibox, 15
€/month)), it serves 100 requests/seconds, session validation included.
I only took it down because it required a bios update.

#
#Install Notes
#

Debian V6.0.0 (64BITS)
Date 2012 01 26

#installation initiale avec sda1,2 et 3 seulement
apt-get install parted
#après installation, création des partitions logiques 5,6,7
#et remount de /var, /home, /var/log dessus

#
#ssh
#

#edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config
# Authentication:
LoginGraceTime 60
PermitRootLogin no
StrictModes yes
#pas plus de quatre essais (message dans les logs à partir de la
troisième erreur)
MaxAuthTries 4
AllowUsers XXXXX

#edit .ssh/config on workstation

#ssh displays funky characters
dpkg-reconfigure locales
  207. fr_FR ISO-8859-1
  208. fr_FR.UTF-8 UTF-8
  209. fr_FR@euro ISO-8859-15

default : fr_FR@euro

#désactiver les programmes lancés par défaut et non utilisés
update-rc.d -f bind9 remove
update-rc.d -f mdadm remove
update-rc.d -f portmap remove

#run
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

#utilities
apt-get install gcc rsync sqlite3 make
apt-get install git

#
#Postgresql
#
apt-get install postgresql postgresql-client postgresql-plperl-8.4

createuser -d XXXXX

#pg_dumpall && pg_restore cluster from workstation

#
#Apache
#
apt-get install apache2-mpm-worker libapache2-request-perl
libapache2-mod-perl2 libapache2-mod-apreq2 apache2.2-common

#configure logrotate : edit /etc/logrotate.d/apache2

#enable apache2 modules
a2enmod ssl rewrite apreq

#
#install perl modules
#

#pre-compiled binaries for DBI & DBD::Pg & sqlite3
apt-get install libapache-dbi-perl libdbd-pg-perl libdbd-sqlite3-perl

Done.

--
Vincent Veyron
http://marica.fr/