Re: .pgpass file and unix domain sockets - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: .pgpass file and unix domain sockets
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> This is wrong according to my tests.  "localhost" *does* work,
>> at least in some cases.

> As I understand it, the only case where it doesn't is where an explicit
> host connection parameter pointing to the socket directory, or the same
> via PGHOST, is used, Is that right?

Well, the point is that if you do that then you have to write that
socket directory as the hostname in .pgpass.  What was on the table for
discussion was whether we like that behavior as-is (in which case we'd
better document it), or whether we should make it match "localhost" in
all cases, or whether we should do some third thing.

Personally I wouldn't object to making it match "localhost" in all
cases.  That's what the documentation says, and the use-case for
doing something more complicated seems pretty thin.

            regards, tom lane