Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams
Date
List pgsql-docs
> Is it at all practical to ship the PNGs as well as the DIA files in
> CVS, and make rebuilding the PNGs from the DIAs a separate step?

Other than the bulky file sizes I see nothing wrong with that approach.
We have traditionally not required developers to have autoconf installed
unless they wanted to muck with the configure script, and this seems
more or less equivalent.

> Also, I think we need to review these images carefully before adding
> any of them into our docs.

Sure.  These are proof of concept not ready-to-ship diagrams.  What we
ought to be looking at is what the source representation is like and how
easy it is for people to adjust the diagrams.

            regards, tom lane