Re: Command Triggers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Command Triggers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Dimitri Fontaine's message of dom dic 18 16:54:11 -0300 2011:

> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> > Hmm ... I don't think that I *am* ok with that.  ISTM that we'd then
> > find ourselves with any changes in utility statement parse trees
> > amounting to a user-visible API break, and that's not an acceptable
> > situation.
>
> Oh, you mean like exposing the parser for syntax coloring etc.  I failed
> to see it's the same case.  Do we have an acceptable proposal on that
> front yet?

The conclusion that was reached during developer's meeting was that
those interested should use a technique similar to the one used by the
ecpg parser, namely use some sort of tool to transform the gram.y source
code into something else (different productions).  That idea is not
useful to you here, I'm afraid.