Re: pg_dump transaction's read-only mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump transaction's read-only mode
Date
Re: pg_dump transaction's read-only mode
List pgsql-hackers
Pavan Deolasee <pavan.deolasee@gmail.com> writes:
> On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 4:29 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> As submitted, this broke pg_dump for dumping from pre-8.0 servers.
>> (7.4 didn't accept commas in SET TRANSACTION syntax, and versions
>> before that didn't have the READ ONLY option at all.)

> My bad. I did not realize that pg_dump is still supported for pre-8.0 releases.

It supports servers back to 7.0.  At some point we ought to consciously
desupport old servers and pull out the corresponding code, but that
needs to be an act of intention not omission ;-)

(It's entirely likely that the 7.0 server I keep around for testing this
is the last one in captivity anywhere.  But IIRC, we've heard fairly
recent reports of people still using 7.2.  We'd have to desupport before
7.3 to save any meaningful amount of pg_dump code, so I'm not convinced
it's time to pull the trigger on this quite yet.)