Re: language name case sensitivity, also known as plpgsql <> 'PLpgSQL' - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: language name case sensitivity, also known as plpgsql <> 'PLpgSQL'
Date
List pgsql-general
Gregg Jaskiewicz <gryzman@gmail.com> writes:
> On 26 March 2012 16:41, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>> Probably something to do with this:
>> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=67dc4eed42186ba6a2456578899bfd38d003201a

> Would you call it a regression ?

It's an intentional change to make handling of language names less
bizarrely different from every other name in SQL.  Personally, I'd
recommend getting rid of the single quotes.  Use of a string literal for
a language name has been poor style since 7.2 or thereabouts, and it is
foreseeable that at some point we'd stop accepting string literals for
this purpose altogether.

            regards, tom lane