Re: Searching for "bare" letters - Mailing list pgsql-general

From planas
Subject Re: Searching for "bare" letters
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 01:25 +0200, Reuven M. Lerner wrote:
Hi, everyone.  I'm working on a project on PostgreSQL 9.0 (soon to be upgraded to 9.1, given that we haven't yet launched).  The project will involve numerous text fields containing English, Spanish, and Portuguese.  Some of those text fields will be searchable by the user.  That's easy enough to do; for our purposes, I was planning to use some combination of LIKE searches; the database is small enough that this doesn't take very much time, and we don't expect the number of searchable records (or columns within those records) to be all that large.

The thing is, the people running the site want searches to work on what I'm calling (for lack of a better term) "bare" letters.  That is, if the user searches for "n", then the search should also match Spanish words containing "ñ".  I'm told by Spanish-speaking members of the team that this is how they would expect searches to work.  However, when I just did a quick test using a UTF-8 encoded 9.0 database, I found that PostgreSQL didn't  see the two characters as identical.  (I must say, this is the behavior that I would have expected, had the Spanish-speaking team member not said anything on the subject.)

So my question is whether I can somehow wrangle PostgreSQL into thinking that "n" and "ñ" are the same character for search purposes, or if I need to do something else -- use regexps, keep a "naked," searchable version of each column alongside the native one, or something else entirely -- to get this to work.

Could you parse the search string for the non-English characters and convert them to the appropriate English character? My skills are not that good or I would offer more details.
Any ideas?

Thanks,

Reuven

--
Reuven M. Lerner -- Web development, consulting, and training
Mobile: +972-54-496-8405 * US phone: 847-230-9795

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com