Re: PATCH: regular logging of checkpoint progress - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: PATCH: regular logging of checkpoint progress
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On fre, 2011-09-02 at 17:13 +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> Sure, but I think the effort not to have a zillion of GUC makes sense.

Well, I'll be the first to agree that reducing complexity in
configuration and tuning settings is worth aiming for.

But for logging, I'd rather have more settings, theoretically up to one
for each possible message.  That doesn't increase complexity, as long as
it has linear behavior.  It's debatable whether that means a new
log_something parameter for each situation, or just a single parameter
containing some kind of list, or something else, but that's a different
problem.