Re: backup-strategies for large databases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From MirrorX
Subject Re: backup-strategies for large databases
Date
List pgsql-general
i looked into data partitioning and it is definitely something we will use
soon. but, as far as the backups are concerned, how can i take a backup
incrementally? if i get it correctly, the idea is to partition a big table
(using a date field for example) and then take each night for example a dump
of the 'daily' partition. so that the dump of this specific table will be
relatively small to the size of the initial table. is that right?

so, we are talking about logical backups without PITR. i am not saying that
it's a bad idea, i just want to make sure that i got it right.

thank you again all for your answers