German Newspaper Article about SAP & MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Evil Azrael
Subject German Newspaper Article about SAP & MySQL
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi!

It´s not directly PgSQL related, but i think it might be nevertheless
interesting.

The German weekly economy newspaper "Wirtschaftswoche" has this week
an 2 page article about the cooperation between MySQL an SAP. 2 parts are
interesting in my view. I hope, I get them translated accurately.

1) "At the end of May decided the top man of the the German Software
giant [Henning Kagermann, "Boss" of SAP] to give his own, at around 1000 clients installed database
software to MySQL for distribution and common  further development.
While this Deal opens the "walldorfern" [SAP] the access to millions
of potential new clients, this deals has "symbolic character" for the
the Swedes [MySQL]; comparable with the boost for Linux, initiated by
the decision of IBM to Computers also equipped with the free OS.

Because the partner SAP could pave the way for the MySQL-Software
which has been used mainly by small, midsized companies and home users
[for various activities, not interesting], into the business with big
companies. The Swedes extend with the technical know-how of the for
the use in big companies optimised SAP DB their own product with
functions for the business client market like improved access to huge
data pools or more optimized connections to other applications.

What the "walldorfer" [SAP] fascinates about their northern partner
aren´t particular technical finesses of the database. The databases of
the big three [IBM,Oracle,M$] which have souped up with special
functions for the operation of huge companies, are cleary superior.
[...]"

Good to know that MySQL is clearly inferior  :)

2) "'It needs only a few top enterprises to move their applications to
MySQL to start an avalanche' says forrester analyst Schadler."  [from
market-research 'Forrester-Research']

In my eyes this report (the original one) is interesting for the
advocacy group as it clearly shows how the economic journalist
evaluate this deal of both companies and how they evaluate MySQL (not
so good ;)). And because it clearly says what MySQL still needs to
become popular in the economy according to a market-researcher. And
this fact is even more interesting if you consider that PostgreSQL has
a lot more functions that are really import for the usage in big
enterprises, but receives far less attention.

BTW : was there ever any effort of SAP to contact anyone of the
Postgresql Group?

Christoph Nelles

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen