Re: Handling connection loss - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: Handling connection loss
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 21:12 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 7:47 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> > I tried something else today. Suppose a database with two schemas. Both
> > have objects in them, let's say two tables in each schema. Connect to
> > the database, click on the + of the first schema. You'll see all objects
> > in it. Now, restart PostgreSQL. And click on the + of the second schema.
> > It'll tell you you're disconnected and will ask you if you want to
> > reconnect. You say yes, it reconnects and you'll see all the objects
> > types with nothing ("Tables (0)" for example instead of "Tables (2)").
> > If you refresh the schema, you'll have the right info (ie, "Tables
> > (2)").
>
> Yeah, I think we're going to run into issues like this. It comes about
> because the database classes have no way of telling the browser to do
> things like refresh again. The question is, is this approach better
> than struggling on with what we have now, and if so, what else needs
> to be done to make the reconnection invisible to the rest of the app
> (it's supposed to be - what did I miss)?

Actually, I don't know. I mean, showing no objects in a schema when it
should shows objects is a really major burden. But the lost connection
issue is also a major burden.

I don't think we should hurry on this, we have to take the time to do it
right. Whatever that means.

--
Guillaume
  http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info