Re: range types and ip4r - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: range types and ip4r
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 09:38 +0300, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Just wondering, will the planned range type functionality also be able
> to absorb the functionality of the ip4r type as a range of the ip4 type
> (http://pgfoundry.org/projects/ip4r)?  Maybe it's trivial, but since the
> ip types also have a kind of hierarchical structure, I figured I'd point
> it out in case you hadn't considered it.

Thanks for bringing that up.

It had briefly crossed my mind, but I didn't see any problem with it.
Does it use the hierarchical nature to manipulate the values at all, or
is it just a flat range?

If it's just a flat range it would be similar to int4range, I would
think.

Regards,Jeff Davis