Re: SSI error messages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: SSI error messages
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of vie jul 15 14:33:34 -0400 2011:

> I think that Peter's real concern is whether these are worth
> translating, and I share that doubt.  Perhaps we should invent an
> errdetail_internal, parallel to errmsg_internal, that works like
> errdetail but doesn't treat the message as a candidate for translation?

Yeah.  The other point is that translated versions of those phrases are
likely to introduce randomly diverging terms, which is not going to help
with debugging.  As long as the technology is new enough that a user is
going to need help from -hackers (or at least someone who read and
grokked README.SSI) to debug a problem, there's no benefit to
translating those errdetails.