Re: Fwd: Keywords in pg_hba.conf should be field-specific - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Fwd: Keywords in pg_hba.conf should be field-specific
Date
Re: Fwd: Keywords in pg_hba.conf should be field-specific
List pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Pavel Stehule's message of mar jun 21 11:04:11 -0400 2011:
> 2011/6/21 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:

> > AFAICS, this is only important in places where the syntax allows either
> > a keyword or an identifier.  If only a keyword is possible, there is no
> > value in rejecting it because it's quoted.  And, when you do the test,
> > I think you'll find that it would be breaking hba files that used to
> > work (though admittedly, it's doubtful that there are any such in the
> > field).
>
> It should be better documented. I don't think so this is good
> solution, but this is not too important.

On the contrary -- we should support it but not document it.  I mean,
what good would that do?  If someone is so silly to uselessly quote
keywords, let them do it, but let's not encourage it.