Re: pg_upgrade using appname to lock out other users - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: pg_upgrade using appname to lock out other users
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of mié jun 15 12:51:29 -0400 2011:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> > Agreed on both counts ... but ... does this mean that we need a
> > different program for programmable tasks as opposed to interactive
> > ones?  Dealing with standalone backends *is* a pain, that's for sure.
>
> I'm not sure exactly what is needed here - what programmable tasks are
> you thinking of, other than pg_upgrade?

Well, something to use on shell scripts and the like first and foremost;
see
http://petereisentraut.blogspot.com/2010/03/running-sql-scripts-with-psql.html