Re: Postmaster holding unlinked files for pg_largeobject table - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Postmaster holding unlinked files for pg_largeobject table
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Kevin Grittner's message of lun jun 06 11:58:51 -0400 2011:
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
> > What we found out after more careful investigation is that the
> > file is kept open by a backend connected to a different database.
> > I have a suspicion that what happened here is that this backend
> > was forced to flush out a page from shared buffers to read some
> > other page; and it was forced to do a fsync of this file.  And
> > then it forgets to close the file descriptor.
>
> This sounds vaguely similar to what I found with WAL files being
> held open for days after they were deleted by read-only backends:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/15412.1259630304@sss.pgh.pa.us
>
> I mention it only because there might be one place to fix both....

Hmm interesting.  I don't think the placement suggested by Tom would be
useful, because the Zabbix backends are particularly busy all the time,
so they wouldn't run ProcessCatchupEvent at all.