Re: WIP patch - INSERT-able log statements - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From FAST PostgreSQL
Subject Re: WIP patch - INSERT-able log statements
Date
Re: WIP patch - INSERT-able log statements  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-patches
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 11:50, Tom Lane wrote:
> "FAST PostgreSQL" <fastpgs@fast.fujitsu.com.au> writes:
> > The second variable is of interest. We need to specify a table in the
> > insert command. My preferred option is for the user to give one and he
> > can create it if and when he wants to. The alternative is we decide the
> > table name and make initdb to create one.
>
> Why not output the data in COPY format instead?  That (a) eliminates the
> problem of needing to predetermine a destination table name, and (b)
> should be considerably faster to load than thousands of INSERT statements.

Yeah, that was my initial idea too... But because the TODO item clearly
mentions INSERT, I thought maybe there was some very specific reason for the
output to be in INSERT stmts.. ..

Rgds,
Arul Shaji

>             regards, tom lane
This is an email from Fujitsu Australia Software Technology Pty Ltd, ABN 27 003 693 481. It is confidential to the
ordinaryuser of the email address to which it was addressed and may contain copyright and/or legally privileged
information.No one else may read, print, store, copy or forward all or any of it or its attachments. If you receive
thisemail in error, please return to sender. Thank you.

If you do not wish to receive commercial email messages from Fujitsu Australia Software Technology Pty Ltd, please
emailunsubscribe@fast.fujitsu.com.au