Re: Sync Rep v17 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Sync Rep v17
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 15:25 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:

> >> Will think on this.
> >
> > The behaviour seems correct to me:
> >
> > If allow_standalone_primary = off then you wish to wait forever (at your
> > request...)
>
> No, I've never wished wait-forever option for now. I'd like to make
> the primary work alone when there is no connected standby, for
> high-availability.

Good news, please excuse that reference.

> > If allow_standalone_primary = on then we sit and wait until we hit
> > client timeout, which occurs even after last standby has gone.
>
> In that case, why do backends need to wait until the timeout occurs?
> We can make those backends resume their transaction as soon as
> the last standby has gone. No?

The guarantee provided is that we will wait for up to client timeout for
the sync standby to confirm. If we stop waiting right at the point that
an "event" occurs, it breaks the whole purpose of the feature.

-- Simon Riggs           http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/books/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services