Re: criticism about hosting download packages - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: criticism about hosting download packages
Date
Re: criticism about hosting download packages  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-www
On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 20:44 +0100, Cédric Villemain wrote:

> >> Rah, sorry, it was supposed to be a dot  not a question-mark.
> >
> > The only way the EDB page will not be prominent is if the community
> > starts maintaining its own one-click packages that provide the same
> > level of functionality. Nobody has offered to put that effort in.
>
> I am happy that EDB maintain those packages. It is great and benefit
> to lot of PostgreSQL users.
> The issue is not with EDB page being prominent but with the bad taste
> of the registration form which lead users to confusion.

Right but that isn't our concern. EDB should and can do whatever they
wish with that download page. It is up to the community to decide
whether or not how they handle it is reasonable.

EDB *DESERVES* to be able to collect information if a person wants to
download THEIR package. It isn't a .Org package. It is a EDB package.

I would also note that the page automatically starts downloading the
package if you are running any modern browser. It does not require
registration at all and even states that  on the page.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor