Re: Sync Rep v17 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Sync Rep v17
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 20:45 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:

> On the other hand, I see no particular
> harm in leaving the option in there either, though I definitely think
> the default should be changed to -1.

The default setting should be to *not* freeze up if you lose the
standby. That behaviour unexpectedly leads to an effective server down
situation, rather than 2 minutes of slow running. This is supposed to be
High Availability software so it will be bad for us if we allow that.

We've discussed this many times already. The people that wish to wait
forever have their wait-forever option, but lets not force it on
everyone.

-- Simon Riggs           http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/books/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services