Re: why two dashes in extension load files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: why two dashes in extension load files
Date
Re: why two dashes in extension load files
List pgsql-hackers
On mån, 2011-02-14 at 10:13 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Why do the extension load files need two dashes, like xml2--1.0.sql?
> > Why isn't one enough?
>
> Because we'd have to forbid dashes in extension name and version
> strings.  This was judged to be a less annoying solution.  See
> yesterday's discussion.

I'm not convinced.  There was nothing in that discussion why any
particular character would have to be allowed in a version number.  I'd
propose that dashes should be prohibited in version names anyway,
because downstream packaging will want to use that to separate packaging
revisions.  It might be better to discuss that explicitly rather than
hiding it in some thread of another title.

Other comments?