Re: pg_basebackup for streaming base backups - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: pg_basebackup for streaming base backups
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 14:55 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> >> It uses the replication features for it. You also have to set
> >> max_walsenders > 0, which is in the replication section of the
> >> postgresql.conf file.
> >>
> >> The point I wanted to make downthread was that it's useful without
> >> having a replication *slave*. But yes, you need the master.
> >
> > Suggest calling this utility pg_replication_backup
> > and the other utility pg_replication_stream
> >
> > It will be easier to explain the connection with replication.
>
> Hmm. I don't like those names at all :(
>
> But that's just me - and I don't totally hate them. So I'm opening the
> floor for other peoples votes :-)

No problem. My point is that we should look for a name that illustrates
the function more clearly. If Peter was confused, others will be also.

-- Simon Riggs           http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/books/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services