Re: here does postgres take its timezone information from? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: here does postgres take its timezone information from?
Date
List pgsql-general
Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net> writes:
>> 6 nov. 2019 kl. 03:03 skrev Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com>:
>>> *It looks like FreeBSD's port uses the copy of tzdata from the
>>> PostgreSQL source tree by default and thus that is what you get if you
>>> install PostgreSQL with "pkg".  That's not a great default IMHO and
>>> should be changed.

> The decision to use postgresql's tzdata is quite old. It was based on the assumption that postgres is updated more
frequentlythan the operating system, and that for that reason it was better to use postgresql's tzdata, since it would
bemore accurate more often. This is probably not true anymore, so I agree it should probably be changed to
default=system-tzdataon FreeBSD.
> I will commit an upgrade in Thursday, and unless anybody raise their voice against it, I will change the default
settingthen.

So it seems that that change was not entirely without fallout:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/16118-ef1e45e342c52416%40postgresql.org

I don't think this is reason to revert the change, exactly,
but it's a concern.  I wonder why FreeBSD editorializes on
the set of zone names?

            regards, tom lane