Re: Syslog and pg_options (for RPMs) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Syslog and pg_options (for RPMs)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> AOLserver is one example that successfully redirects dynamic linker
> messages to it's own log.

Oh?  How?  Are you sure they're not just piping stderr to a program
of their own devising?  That's basically what I'm recommending.

> Is syslog not portable enough?

It's got a lot of limitations and problems of its own, on many
platforms... but the fundamental point is that without an external
redirector, we are never going to get everything of interest sent
to syslog.

> A syslogger of stderr would make a nice place to pipe the output :-).
> 'postmaster .... 2>&1 | output-to-syslog-program -f facility.desired' or
> some such. But that obviates the need to support syslog _at_all_ in the
> backend,

Precisely my point.  I think working hard on syslog support inside elog
is misplaced effort.