Re: How to find correct locale name for CREATEDATABASE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: How to find correct locale name for CREATEDATABASE
Date
List pgsql-general
On tor, 2010-12-02 at 19:53 +0200, Andrus wrote:
> I'm trying to create portable application which can automatically
> create
> database using estonian locale in any server.
> Postgres returns different values for same locale:
>
> In Fedora    et_EE.UTF8
> Other linuxes    et_EE.UTF-8
> In Windows    Estonian_Estonia.1257
> In some other Linuxes something like Estonian.Estonia
>
> For this reason I'm looking for a way to probe server for locale
> existence.

Well, the solution here would be that someone sits down and creates a
universal taxonomy of all possible locale names in all possible
environments.  Until someone embarks on that task, you will probably be
better off just tracking the handful of possible locale names applicable
to your concern yourself.