Re: Migration of PGDATA - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Migration of PGDATA
Date
List pgsql-admin
=?iso-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_M=FCnstermann=22?= <mmuenst@gmx.de> writes:
> In case it does not work great, what kind of problems would we experience?

In theory pg_control contains enough information to detect such
compatibility problems, so that you'd get a refusal to start.
In practice, maybe not, and the consequences could be arbitrarily
unpleasant.  Better keep a pg_dump backup just in case.

One thing I'd particularly caution you to check is that the locale
settings on the new platform are equivalent to those on the old.
We have seen cases where the same locale name produces different
sort orderings on different platforms.  That will result in corrupt
(malfunctioning) indexes on text columns.

            regards, tom lane