Re: pg_migrator to /contrib in a later 9.0 beta - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_migrator to /contrib in a later 9.0 beta
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Yeah. It's not uncommon to want to upgrade by more than one release at
> a time, and I haven't heard any reason why we should arbitrarily
> refuse to support that. Of course we may need to do that eventually
> for some specific reason, but it seems like we should only consider
> imposing such a restriction in the face of a tangible need.

I wasn't suggesting that we should arbitrarily refuse to support cases
that would work otherwise.  What I *was* saying is that the community
has not bought into doing any extra work to support
cross-multiple-version migrations, and I don't think it will do so.
It would be a mistake to give users the impression that such cases can
be expected to work in future.  In particular we should not provide a
documentation table that is set up to give the impression that
multi-version upgrades are going to be supported.  The docs should be
written to make it clear that one-version-at-a-time is the normal case,
and any cases where you can take a shortcut should be documented as
exceptions.