Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib
Date
Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib  (Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc>)
List pgsql-hackers
> I think it's becoming increasingly clear that pg_migrator is not for
> the faint of heart; in fact, I think we should hedge references to it
> with words like "experimental".

Probably ...

> Just to recall the history, the first pgfoundry
> commit messages for this tool were on February 9th, three months after
> the start of the final CommitFest and feature freeze for 8.4.  Since
> then, development has proceeded at an amazingly rapid pace, but
> there's only so much you can do in four months,

... but the above is a *complete* misrepresentation of the thing's
history (apparently you failed to look in the Attic?).  EDB have been
using previous versions of this tool for some years, and the basic
premise is the same as contrib/pg_upgrade that existed as far back as
7.1/7.2 timeframe.