Re: plpython3 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: plpython3
Date
Re: plpython3  ("David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> To recap the votes I've seen on this thread and elsewhere:

> - JD is very enthusiastic about this patch
> - So is the OP
> - Josh Berkus and I are both dubious about having two in-core PL/pythons
> - Peter Eisentraut prefers the original implementation
> - Greg Smith thinks (if I'm not putting words into his mouth) that
> this might be worth considering, but not for 9.0

One other problem with accepting this to be parallel with the existing
plpython is that there's a name conflict: Peter's work to allow the
existing PL to use Python 3 has already claimed the name "plpython3".
Whether it's to be distributed in core or separately, I think something
needs to be done about that.

The first thought that comes to mind is "plpythonng", following a
tradition established by the tcl client rewrite among others ... but
that double n doesn't read very well.