Re: ThisTimeLineID in checkpointer and bgwriter processes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ThisTimeLineID in checkpointer and bgwriter processes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> PreallocXlogFiles() should have been put to the sword long ago. It's a
> performance tweak aimed at people without a performance problem in
> this area.

This claim seems remarkably lacking in any supporting evidence.

I'll freely grant that PreallocXlogFiles could stand to be improved
(by which I mean made more aggressive, ie willing to create files more
often and/or further in advance).  I don't see how it follows that it's
okay to remove the functionality altogether.  To the extent that we can
make that activity happen in checkpointer rather than in foreground
processes, it's surely a good thing.