Re: Postmaster terminated without any error message - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Postmaster terminated without any error message
Date
List pgsql-admin
"roger" <roger@tagalder.com> writes:
> We have Postgresql 7.2 under Redhat 7.2. Postmaster can be started and we c=
> an use it without problem. However postmaster will terminate abnormally aft=
> er 1 or 2 hours and leave no error messages.

I suspect you are starting the postmaster under resource constraints
(check "ulimit" settings) or else the postmaster is getting hit by the
kernel's infamous "out-of-memory killer" (google for "OOM kill" for more
info).

In recent Linux kernels you can prevent OOM kills by adjusting the
kernel's memory allocation parameters, but RH 7.2 may be too old to give
you that control.

            regards, tom lane