Re: Postgres 8.3 archive_command - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Postgres 8.3 archive_command
Date
Re: Postgres 8.3 archive_command  ("Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Just to clarify: I don't object to lowering "successfully archived"
>> messages to DEBUG1, if the field consensus is that it's too chatty.
>> What I didn't like was the idea of logging some events but not other
>> identical events.
> Agreed on the intermittent logging.  I don't feel it's too chatty,
> but on the other hand, I could always change the logging level on
> the fly if I was investigating a problem, so it wouldn't be much of
> an inconvenience to switch it if it bugs others.

Also, you can always tweak your archive_command script to do some
logging of its own, so it's always possible to make the thing more
noisy if you need to.  Less noisy, though, is hard without changing
the server code.

> In poking around the logs just now, I noticed one message I'd like
> to squelch.  Run against Milwaukee County's recent log files:
> grep -c 'PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index'

Set log_min_messages higher than NOTICE.  Given the current usage of
NOTICE --- basically they're *all* newbie-annoyance items ---
I kinda wonder why WARNING isn't the default setting anyway.