Re: Possible "off-topic" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Possible "off-topic"
Date
List pgsql-general
Tulio Oliveira <mestredosmagos@marilia.com> writes:
> 1) The arrows-keys (up,down,left,right) don't work in PSQL prompt.
> Instead this keys, it returns ^[[A  ,  ^[[B  ,  ^[[C  ,   ^[[D
> And when I access the notebook from other machine via TELNET, the
> BACKSPACE don't works too. (^H isntead).

Sounds like you have messed-up terminal settings.  Check that the
TERM environment variable matches what you are using.

> 2) When I startup the X system, and runs Netscape from the same
> notebook, the time to make de CONNECTION into Postgres is too slow. More
> than 30 seconds....

Your local DNS setup is messed up, I think.  That sounds like a
nameserver timeout while trying to look up "localhost" (or whatever
you have PGHOST set to).  Bone up on configuring DNS; I imagine there's
a HOWTO for it out there.

Or you could just unset PGHOST.  But the DNS problem will affect more
than just Postgres, so I'd recommend attacking the problem not just
this symptom.

            regards, tom lane