Re: Occasional giant spikes in CPU load - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Occasional giant spikes in CPU load
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 14:37 -0700, Craig James wrote:
> Most of the time Postgres runs nicely, but two or three times a day we get a huge spike in the CPU load that lasts
justa short time -- it jumps to 10-20 CPU loads.  Today it hit 100 CPU loads.  Sometimes days go by with no spike
events. During these spikes, the system is completely unresponsive (you can't even login via ssh).

> I managed to capture one such event using top(1) with the "batch" option as a background process.  See output below -
itshows 19 active postgress processes, but I think it missed the bulk of the spike.

What does iostat 5 say during the jump?

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
Respect is earned, not gained through arbitrary and repetitive use or Mr. or Sir.