Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Has anyone seen this marketing gimmick?EnterpriseDB vs MySQL vs MariaDB - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Has anyone seen this marketing gimmick?EnterpriseDB vs MySQL vs MariaDB
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

http://go.mariadb.com/GLBL-WBN_2017-09-19CageMatchIntegratedCampaign_RegistrationLP.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=paid-social&utm_campaign=2017-cage-match-webinar-boost

>> This is tomorrow, if you are on US time.
>
> Looks like it is next Tuesday.
>
> It's presented by the "Senior Director of Product Marketing" for
> MariaDB. What do you expect him to do, give a true and unbiased
> presentation about the benefits of the competition? Ha ha ha
>

> -- Stephen

I'd expect PostgreSQL to do well against MariaDB and Oracle in all 4
categories listed at that URL.  Obviously EnterpriseDB is in demand and
some companies value paying a premium for their services, but may be a
bit pricey for some people - but I know that EnterpriseDB gives back to
the community.

So apart from a senior executive of MariaDB presenting having an obvious
bias, I suspect that the fact that he is not comparing to PostgreSQL:
means that he will harp on about EnterpriseDB being expensive and not
being as committed to Open Source as much as MariaDB (how valid that
latter concern is, I have no idea - but I strongly suspect it will be
painted worse than it is!).

My perception is that PostgreSQL (& EnterpriseDB) developers are more
concerned with data integrity and standards than MariaDB - even at the
expense of gimmicky innovations.  I started looking at PostgreSQL back
in 2004, even then I found it better than MySQL in all categories I
cared about - and I never understood why anyone would think that
PostgreSQL was harder to use.

I hope some PostgreSQL & EnterpriseDB heavyweights will be there!

Cheers,
Gavin