Re: PQconninfo function for libpq - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PQconninfo function for libpq
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> There is already the PQconninfoOption.dispchar field for this purpose.

> I had the impression that that field would go away with this patch, but
> then again it might not be worth the compatibility break.  I find the
> dispchar thingy somewhat unsightly.

It is that, without a doubt, but that API has been that way longer than
any of us have been working on the code.  I'm not excited about changing
it just to have an allegedly-cleaner API.  And we cannot have the field
simply "go away", because it's been exposed to applications for lo these
many years, and surely some of them are using it.  So in practice we'd
be maintaining both the old API and the new one.

I think we should leave it as-is until there are more reasons to change
it than seem to be provided in this thread.