Re: Memory usage during vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Memory usage during vacuum
Date
List pgsql-general
Shelby Cain <alyandon@yahoo.com> writes:
> I apologize for my original post being unclear.  I'm
> running "vacuum analyze" and seeing the behavior
> mentioned.  Does specifying the analyze option imply
> "vacuum full"?

No; I just figured you were probably using FULL without saying so.
However ...

> On a hunch I just ran analyze <really big table> and
> the backend's memory usage soared up to 100+ megs.

... the issue is obviously ANALYZE and not VACUUM at all.  What
statistics targets are you using?  It's hard to believe ANALYZE
would eat that much space unless it's being asked for a really
large target.

            regards, tom lane