Re: Database Comparison tool? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Database Comparison tool?
Date
List pgsql-general
[ please refrain from top-quoting, and try not to repeat the entire

Rick Gigger <rick@alpinenetworking.com> writes:
> On Feb 9, 2006, at 1:03 PM, Philippe Ferreira wrote:
>> Do a "pgdump" of both databases, and use the "diff" tool to compare
>> the two generated files !

> Is the ordering guaranteed to be the same on both boxes if you do this?

For recent pg_dumps (since 8.0 I think) it should be the same as long
as both DBs are actually identical.  If there are different interobject
dependencies, that might force different dump orders.

            regards, tom lane